MSNBC medical contributor Dr. Vin Gupta said a video shown at the Republican National Convention on Monday that celebrated President Donald Trump’s response to the coronavirus pandemic was “all propaganda.”
“Democrats, the media and the World Health Organization got coronavirus wrong,” the RNC video claims. It ignored all the times Trump downplayed the virus threat ― including when he declared in February that cases would soon be “down to close to zero” ― and his repeated claims the virus will just “go away” on its own.
So far, more than 177,000 Americans have been confirmed dead from the infection, including more than 25,000 in August alone.
Gupta, a pulmonologist, ripped into the RNC over the video.
“To say that 170,000 souls lost in our country up to now is a success, by any measure, is fantasy,” Gupta said. “It’s disrespectful to the families who’ve lost loved ones, to front-line clinicians who put their lives at risk. It’s just fantasy. It’s propaganda.”
Gupta also pointed out that the administration continues to fail to deliver essential personal protective equipment to health care workers on the front lines of the pandemic.
“We had to import insufficient, inadequate PPE ― KN95 masks that did not meet any recognizable U.S. standard ― from China, from other places overseas, because we didn’t have enough PPE in our strategic national stockpile,” he said.
And Gupta lit into the delays and failures in rolling out testing.
See Dr. Vin Gupta’s full takedown in the clip above.
- What should you still be disinfecting to prevent COVID-19?
- Is it possible you had coronavirus earlier this year?
- How can you manage your anxiety as coronavirus restrictions lift?
- Here’s the latest on how long COVID-19 antibodies last.
- How will COVID-19 change your office?
- Laid off and lost your health insurance? You have options.
- Everything you need to know about face masks right now.
- Find all our coronavirus coverage here.