Even the most meticulously planned weddings are not immune to last-minute disasters.
We were reminded of that on Monday, when one Redditor posed the question "What went wrong at your wedding?" The responses gave some insight into the broad range of fiascos that can and will go wrong on the big day.
1. Unpredictable children: "The four-year-old flower girl wanted to walk down the aisle with my wife. Wife said no. Said kid then threw flowers on the floor and stomped down the aisle."
2. A last minute illness: "Wife got the flu. Thew up at the reception. Took NyQuil and passed out. Spent wedding night watching late night TV."
3. Heartbroken help: "Our DJ got dumped the night before, and was playing break up songs. There was a mini crisis, as everybody left the dancefloor. We fired her, managed to get a netbook, of all things, and a USB stick full of crowd pleasing tunes. The bride ended up DJing for a few hours, until a replacement DJ could be found."
4. An inappropriate officiant: "The magistrate called me by my husband's ex-girlfriend's name three times during the ceremony, and then made a crack about taking each other off life support. I had "unplugged" my mom a couple of years prior. That guy was the worst."
5. Car problems: "We rented a party bus to take the wedding party from the church to the reception. It broke down halfway there so we dubbed it the 'party-pooper bus'."
6. Wardrobe malfunctions: "My best friend ripped part of my wedding dress off ... The best part was her face. I turned around all like 'What was that?' and she was staring at the fabric in her hands in horror, and when she saw me looking at her she quickly hid it behind her back. She was mortified."
7. A forgetful pastor: "My wife and I wrote our own vows, but the pastor went full auto pilot and did the whole 'repeat after me' bit. Before either of us realized it, we were kissing and walking down the aisle, both of us thinking 'but...wait...we didn't...' Later that night a limo drove us home. We read our vows to each other over glasses of champagne in the limo."
8. Rude guests: ""We had 'grooms cupcakes' instead of a groom's cake because I'm not a big sweets guy. We got done with pictures and made our entrance and couldn't find the cupcakes. We asked the venue coordinator if she'd forgotten to put them up, and apparently my aunt and uncle walked straight from the ceremony to the cake table and started eating cupcakes. 6 dozen gone in a matter of minutes."
9. An irresponsible photographer: "Not my wedding, but my parents'. The videographer/photographer showed up to the wedding, but never sent them the footage. They tried to get in contact with him but all he said was that it was on it's way. 22 years later and they are still waiting."