We're looking for a Blog Editor (this is an editorial position working specifically with opinion and analysis) to work off-week days (Friday - Tuesday). A full description is below. We're based in New York but will consider applications from anywhere. At least two years journalism/editorial experience is preferred. If you're interested please email us with a resume and cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org!
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, commentary, entertainment, features and lifestyle content, as well as a platform for a highly engaged community of opinion and conversation. With nearly 130 million unique visitors each month (comScore), it is the largest news site in the US. The site has more than 85,000 bloggers -- from politicians, students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real time on the subjects about which they are most passionate. HuffPost is a global publication, with editions in the UK, Canada, France, Spain, Italy, Japan, Maghreb, Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Greece and India and more on the way, including Australia.
About the Role: Blog Editor
The ideal blog editor is someone who is extremely web-savvy and detail-oriented, has a strong passion for and extensive knowledge of current events and online media, and a solid work ethic. This person will be working with a number of high profile contributors and therefore must have extremely good communication skills. The editor will build and manage a continuously expanding roster of voices who contribute to the Huffington Post blog platform. The primary duties of the editor are editing, evaluating, and curating the content that our contributors create. Also essential to the job is the ability to initiate and maintain productive and professional relationships with our partners
- Actively recruit and manage relationships with a wide and diverse range of contributors to the platform
- On-boarding of new contributors
- Providing editorial guidance to media partners on potential blog series
- Identifying mutually beneficial areas of cross-promotion for HuffPost and the media partner.
- Evaluating submissions and editing copy
- Correspondence and other communication, including tech problem-solving, with contributors
- Curating and promoting across the site and social networks
- Coordinating with global HuffPost editors to bring the best local voices to an international audience
Requirements for Success:
- Strong social networking skills
- Online experience, including content management systems and site platforms
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Superb copy editing skills
- Eye for identifying red flags
- Superior communication skills