The NFL has issued yet another suspension, docking Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker four games for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy, as first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter.
"I'm as shocked as everyone at todays news," Welker told The Denver Post in an email. "I want to make one thing abundantly clear: I would NEVER knowingly take a substance to gain a competitive advantage in any way. Anyone who has ever played a down with me, lifted a weight with me, even eaten a meal with me, knows that I focus purely on what I put in my body and on the hard work I put in year round to perform at the highest levels year-in and year-out."
He added that he has "never been concerned with the leagues performance enhancing or drug abuse policies because under no scenario would they ever apply to me, but I now know, that (drug-policy procedures) are clearly flawed."
According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, Welker filed an appeal two weeks ago and was notified on Tuesday that he lost. Welker, who finished the 2013 season with 10 touchdowns and 778 receiving yards, returned to practice on Tuesday nine days after suffering a concussion in a preseason game.
Citing an unnamed source, Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk reported that the 33-year-old Welker took molly "that had been cut with amphetamines" at the 2014 Kentucky Derby. In response to the report, Welker told The Denver Post that he "wouldn’t have any idea where to get a Molly or what a Molly is."
Welker was spotted walking around with a wad of cash and reportedly handing out $100 bills to strangers at the event.
This story has been updated with additional remarks from Wes Welker