Whether you are a new boss or a seasoned executive, there is always room for improvement. Even the most innovative CEOs are open to honest company feedback because they know it will result in a more engaged and driven workforce. A new study by Comparably (www.comparably.com) the online destination for transparent workplace compensation and culture data, asked more than 3,000 tech employees in the U.S., “What Does Your CEO Most Need To Improve?” They were given five options to chose from in the workplace culture survey: Vision/Strategy, Integrity, People Skills, Work Ethic, and Hiring Standards.
The insights in the culture infographic are broken down by: Gender, Race, Age, Department, Education, and City. Across all segments, the most common answer is Vision/Strategy with People Skills coming in second. Women are twice as likely than Men to say their CEO needs to improve their Work Ethic. Los Angeles employees also want to see their CEOs improve Work Ethic than any other major city. See infographic below for more details.
· Vision/Strategy is the #1 area virtually every employee says their CEO most needs to improve. People Skills is #2.
INSIGHTS BY GENDER
· Women are 2x more likely than Men to say their CEO needs to improve their Work Ethic.
INSIGHTS BY RACE
· Asian Americans say their CEO needs to improve Hiring Standards more than any other race (40% more likely to say this than Caucasians).
· Native Americans say their CEOs need to improve their Integrity more than any other race (80% more likely to say this than other races).
INSIGHTS BY AGE
· Employees aged 36-40 say their CEO needs to improve Vision/Strategy by the largest percentage (45%).
· Employees aged 56-60 say more than any other age group that their CEO most needs to improve Hiring Standards (25%).
INSIGHTS BY DEPARTMENT
· Admin and Customer Support are the only two departments that say their CEO needs to improve their People Skills above Vision/Strategy.
· Employees in the Legal department are the only to say their CEO most needs to improve Hiring Standards.
· 46% of people in Engineering say their CEO needs to improve Vision/Strategy, the highest percentage of any department.
· Employees in Finance are more likely than any other department to say their CEO needs to improve Integrity, with 14% responding accordingly.
INSIGHTS BY EDUCATION
· Surprisingly all education levels say Vision/Strategy is what their CEO needs to improve most, except for those with only a high school education who resound that Hiring Standards is what their CEO most needs to improve.
INSIGHTS BY CITY
· CEOs in Los Angeles may need to work harder. While still a small percentage overall (8% of respondents), employees in Los Angeles are 50-200% more likely to respond that their CEOs need to improve Work Ethic than employees in other major cities.
The data above was based on an informal questionnaire of registered users on Comparably.com between April-September 2016. While the data is not the result of a scientific study, the response rate is statistically significant. To see how employees rate their companies, go to https://www.comparably.com/companies