It has been a week full of blessings, the first week of Ramadan, the holy month in Islam. I do strongly believe that not only Muslims should pay attention to these days of fasting from sunrise and until sunset, and here is why.
First of all let's talk about proven medical benefits of fasting.
1. The month of Ramadan is a great time for our digestive system, which is responsible for
the metabolism process of food, to get some rest.
2. During fasting, the level of sugar in blood decreases so does the level of cholesterol.
3. And of course it is a chance to get your body in shape!
4. Also, during the first week you will be surprised at how little food you actually need to be full. For some people it can lead to the whole new way of consuming food.
The mental benefits of fasting during Ramadan are even better. This year I look at it as one more chance to learn how to thrive and be grateful for whatever comes my way.
1. You get an opportunity to be in a state of self-discipline and self-control, which is not a bad thing at all.
2. You start to evaluate even small things differently.
3. Ramadan teaches you to avoid anger.
4. To forgive someone's and your own mistakes.
5. It is strongly encouraged to help those in need.
6. And share your happiness with everyone.
It's a time to quit bad habits and start to make healthier choices. While fasting, you start to refrain from bad language and bad thoughts. It's a reminder of how many things in life we take for granted. That's why I think everyone should make an effort and try to fast. Maybe not during Ramadan days, maybe later on, but I am sure people will be amazed at how different they feel and think after such an experience.