It's long been said that mindset is everything when it comes to personal development and making your dreams a reality, and that is absolutely true.
However, for many people the idea of thinking happy thoughts when shit hits the fan is frustrating, infuriating, and it just doesn't work. While maintaining a generally positive belief system is ideal, it can often cover up the very thought patterns you need to release in order to make your dreams come true.
If thinking happy thoughts just doesn't cut it for you, below are five things you should do instead.
1. Feel the feels. Often when things don't go according to your plan and you find yourself in a state of defeat, it can be easy to try and cover up your true feelings with more positive thoughts, especially when you know that your thoughts become things. However, when you do that you are likely just creating more resistance to what is actually going on.
Feeling the feelings that are coming up allow them to flow, providing space for solutions to follow. Your feelings are strong indicators that there are things that need to be cleared up in your thoughts, beliefs and your life. Covering them up only ensures they will come back again only next time a lot stronger. Be true to the feelings that are coming up for you instead of denying that they are there and then move on to #2.
2. Find the lesson. Your feelings are excellent signs that indicate where your vibration is at the moment and if you pay close attention, you will find the lesson that is waiting for you. Many times when we are triggered in life, there is a message for us to learn and it's not to just be happier or ignore the trigger all together.
When you are feeling jealous, frustrated, angry, or even sad in a particular area of your life, look at the patterns. When has this come up before? What is the message? What are you ready to finally release? By asking these simple questions and being willing to get a bit curious, you are sure to not only raise your vibration, but you will also understand what you need to let go of in order to stand more fully in your power.
3. Release and let it go. This is likely one of the hardest things to do when it comes to dealing with life challenges. When you are really struggling in life, it can be difficult to break the pattern and truly let go, however it is extremely important to do so. Whether you use EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), energy work, or do a bit of forgiveness for yourself and others, you must be willing to let go of the negative beliefs and thought patterns in your life in order to raise your vibration and make your dreams come true. There simply is no other way.
4. Tune into your intuition. When you were born, you came equipped with a magnificent power and wealth of knowledge that guides you along your path. During times when life throws you curve balls and you are unsure of what to do, you must tune into your intuition in order to identify your next steps. The message might come through as a strong feeling or you may see and hear messages over and over again guiding you to take a specific step forward on your path.
However you receive your messages, know that you have the power to move forward and that the universe is supporting you every step of the way. If you find you are unsure of what to do next, simply ask your inner guidance for a sign and I promise if you keep your mind open, you will find your answer.
5. Trust your path & follow your heart. Your purpose is to follow your heart and continue along your path in this life and to know that there is no struggle, challenge or obstacle that can hold you back from what you are meant to do. Once you have learned the lessons, let go of what's holding you back and you trust your intuition to move forward, the only thing left to do is to just keep going. You have a vision and purpose for a reason and by following your heart and continuing on your path, you will continue to grow, evolve, and expand into more of who you truly are. Following your heart and continuing on your journey is what life is all about and the key is to just keep going.
What is your favorite way to shift your mindset when things get tough in life? Share yours in the comments below. I'd love to hear from you!
Lamisha Serf-Walls is an empowerment coach for soul-centered women who are tired of trying to fit into lackluster beige boxes and crave the freedom of standing in their truth and living life from the heart. Her mission is to create a community of empowered, free flowing, lovers of life who live a life of freedom with ease and inspire others to do the same. You can learn more about Lamisha and what she offers by joining her free community, visiting her Online, on Facebook, or Twitter or grab her free audio 5 Ways to Break Free From Stuck.