Sometimes, you just gotta laugh! When you are going through a divorce, though, laughing is pretty much at the very bottom of your "To Do" List. It's hard to find a reason to smile, let alone laugh. Yet, according to the Mayo Clinic, laughter improves your immune system, relieves pain, soothes tension and stimulates your organs!
While it's hard to believe when you are just starting your divorce that you will ever laugh again, once you have put a little distance between you and your ex, injecting a little humor into your situation can actually be a good thing. (It's also a sign that you are starting to heal!)
So, in the spirit of lightening your mood and improving your health, here is something to help you find the humor in what is usually an all-too-serious situation.
7 Reasons Divorce Can Be Good for You
1. Divorce is the Best Diet Plan on the Planet! If you could just find a way to package and sell "The Divorce Diet," you could make billions! Think about it. You don't have to count calories. You don't have to worry about drinking chalky shakes or buying any special food because you are such an emotional wreck that you can't eat it anyway. All you have to do is start your divorce and, Boom! You will automatically lose your appetite and begin losing more weight than you ever thought possible!
2. Divorce Automatically Un-Cluttters Your House. Divorce finally gives you a reason to go through the boxes in the basement that you haven't touched in years, and a deadline by which you have to get through them all! What's more, once half of your stuff is gone, the house has way more room in it! You are now free to redecorate and, as a bonus, you don't even have to worry about whether anyone else likes the new decor, or not!
3. Divorce Forces You to Learn New Technology. Once you have put your divorce behind you, opportunities abound to expand your technological skills. Suddenly you find yourself having to learn to navigate Match.com, E-Harmony and, if you are really brave, Tinder!
4. Divorce Provides a Legitimate Excuse to Go Shopping. Being newly single creates a whole new social life that requires a suitable wardrobe to match. Besides, you have now lost so much weight that none of your clothes fit anyway! All the more reason to upgrade your wardrobe.
5. Divorce Can Broaden Your Musical Horizons. No matter what kind of music you listened to while you were married, you will suddenly find yourself compelled to blast out Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats," Cee Lo Green's "Forget You," or "Let it Go" from Disney's Frozen. (And of course, don't forget the forever favorite: "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor!)
6. Divorce Encourages You to Exercise. Even if you haven't exercised in years, once you start the divorce process, your ex's behavior -- as well as the antics of his new squeeze -- could very well inspire you to want to take up kickboxing, karate, or some other type of full-body contact sport. Or, you may try to rise above your anger and go the more "Zen" route, in which case you may discover yoga, tai chi and Qi gong.
7. Divorce Can Make You Feel Young Again. After you get done paying the lawyers, the movers, the therapists, and everything else involved in your divorce, the amount of money left in your bank account will likely be smaller than anything you have seen since you were in your early twenties! It will truly make you feel like you are young all over again.
For most of us, divorce is serious and divorce is tough. But, every now and then, whenever you can manage it, you've just gotta laugh!