12 years a slave

"Normally, I wouldn't really care what Kanye West said about slavery or black history."
Freedom was always precarious for black Americans who stood on the legal margins of society. Blackness and enslavement were
I feel that some Black people push back on Roots 2016, saying we need more diverse Black stories other than slave or civil rights narratives as if we don't have any other type of stories being told. I completely agree that we do need more diverse stories, and more often, but there are other Black stories being told.
Let's be clear: The institution of slavery took thousands, if not millions, of Black lives. The institution of slavery is never to be lauded or celebrated. But the people who were enslaved? These people are nothing to be ashamed of.
The more male CEOs and corporate recruiters see women launching and leading thriving companies, the more change will accelerate. As Sheila Johnson has it, just imagine the innovation and new products and services that change will unleash.
The slaves were systematically terrorized, controlled, and imprisoned in a vast system that the South called civilization
Traces of this other Washington are everywhere. As the new capital was rising from former woods and swampland, slaves labored on many of its buildings, including the White House and the Capitol.
Since winning the Oscar for her brutal role in 12 Years A Slave, Lupita Nyong'o has become a fashion icon and recently starred
Ten years ago, the music industry suffered a major re-set -- or what those less optimistic termed a collapse.
John Ridley scored a career milestone when he was awarded an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay in “12 Years A Slave” during
Only Hollywood would turn sadomasochism, a complicated sexual performance, into a white college girl's extracurricular activity. And only whiteness would allow for the whipping to be seen as elective in a coming-of-age narrative rather than as unavoidable in the violent history of slavery.
Everyone seems to be lining up to honor Alejandro Iñárritu's film in the month leading up to the Oscars. But does that mean the race is over? The math suggests it is not.
This award is unique by giving general moviegoers (not just industry professionals) the opportunity to vote for the best blockbuster film (among the top 10 box office movies), based upon each blockbuster's artistic quality (not simply your favorite).
HARLEM — Steve McQueen, the director of "12 Years a Slave," is scouting Harlem for a leading man to star in an upcoming HBO
Saratoga Springs in upstate New York may be best known to many as home to a world famous race track for thoroughbred horses, the second oldest in the United States that began its long life in 1863.
I read in Variety that 12 Years a Slave will now be taught in U.S. high schools. What an achievement. I learned a great deal from the film and am thrilled others will have the opportunity to engage in both the written form as well as the cinematic portrayal of Solomon Northup's story.
Understand that "founding fathers" is just a romanticized term. Thomas Jefferson was not your actual father. He didn't take you to baseball games. Things change. Is it so unreasonable to think that?