Netflix was kind enough to release the first season of Grace & Frankie shortly after my ex-husband and I separated. Somehow the powers-that-be at Netflix knew that what I needed most in my life at that time was a show about two 70-something women who are going through divorces because their husbands announced they were in love with each other.
I devoured that first season over a weekend and couldn't wait for the next season. All the emotions I was feeling about my divorce - from betrayal to guilt to confusion and anger and heartbreak - were all realistically portrayed in every episode.
I've been divorced for over a year now and I'm gearing up for (as I'm writing this) today’s third season release! I've been re-watching the first and second seasons and I'm pleased that I'm enjoying it even more the second time through.
Seriously, you need to watch this show! Call in sick today and binge the first 2 seasons and then cancel your crazy Friday night plans to devour the third season. Again, seriously.
In case you need more reasons to watch, here's 10 reasons you need to binge watch Grace & Frankie tonight:
- The believable and heart-warming characters. You will feel like family after the first episode.
- It's the perfect self-date night show. You will laugh, cry, and go "Yep, that's how it is" and go back to laughing. And that's all in the first scene.
- This show probably has the best group of supporting actors EVER. Every character has a place in this show and each character fills up their space beautifully.
- It's funny, heart-warming, tearful, bittersweet. It's got all the feels.
- If you are going through a separation or divorce right now, you need Grace's poise and Frankie's warmth to help you through.
- Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin were made to do this show together; their chemistry is magic.
- The title sequence is brilliant. Even after a night binging, you will still want to watch the title sequence each time.
- Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston play lovers and they are insanely adorable. Even though they were cheating on their wives for 20 years, you can’t help but love them.
- The crying that you will inevitably do, caused by so many touching scenes, is cathartic.
- Grace & Frankie just makes your heart feel good. I don't know about you, but I'm so sick of all these shows filled with back-stabbing, horrible characters and stressful, dramatic situations. Divorce shoves you through the most stressful and dramatic season of your life, you don’t need more drama.
But seriously, add some Grace & Frankie to your life! It will give you hope that everything will be alright.
Follow Sara Woodard on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theheartfulljourney/
Sara is an ally for heartbroken moms who are going through divorce and need help managing their emotions and rebuilding their confidence. Snag Sara’s free book “50 Reasons Divorce Is The Best Time To Thrive”.