Pregnant Popeyes Manager's Firing Rescinded After Refusing To Pay For Armed Robbery (UPDATE)

Marissa Holcomb was held at gunpoint late last month in an armed robbery at a Popeyes in Channelview, Texas.

Then, she was fired.

The shift manager -- who is five months pregnant -- says she was reprimanded because she refused to pay back $400 that the gunman got away with, according to KHOU.

UPDATE: Popeyes has apologized to Holcomb, compensated her for her lost time at work, and offered to rehire her, according to a press release from the company. It reads:

"As a franchisee of the Popeyes system, our organization strives to provide the best possible work experience for our employees. We clearly did not do that in this case and we have apologized to the employee personally. Among other things, we will compensate her for the lost time from work and have invited her to rejoin our company. We deeply regret the way this matter was handled."


"I told them I'm not paying nothing," Holcomb told the station. "I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money."

On March 31, the gun-toting perp walked into the eatery and demanded that employees get on the floor, Raw Story reports. He grabbed Holcomb by her shirt and told her to empty the safe, but she said she could only open the registers.

Security video of the incident (above) shows the gunman leap over the counter to get to the registers.

The restaurant was reportedly unusually busy that day, so the thief made off with a hefty sum. Holcomb claims that her manager demanded that she reimburse the company the $400 that was stolen, or be fired.

A Popeyes spokesperson told KHOU that it's against company policy to have that much money in the register at any given time, so Holcomb was fired. The rep denied hearing that she was given the option to pay the money back.

Holcomb said she's pregnant with her fourth child and that the firing came at the worst time.

"I don't think it's right because now I'm struggling for my family," she told USA Today. "What I had to do (was) keep my life."

Supporters say they tried to set up a GoFundMe page to help her out, but that page was later taken down by its organizers. Holcomb told the New York Daily News that she's applying for jobs every day.



Caught On Camera