Happy New Year Glow Girls! It's officially the season of resolutions and lifestyle changes so I thought it would be a great time to share my daily supplement intake with all of you. In addition to eating a healthy diet, I found that taking supplements regularly improved my overall health and immune system in a fairly short period of time. I started taking them a few years ago when I met Dr. Maggie Ney at LA's Akasha Center for Integrative Medicine and my experience has been life changing. Since taking these vitamins and supplements, I've noticed a big difference in the way I feel. There are many brands to choose from but these are my favorites.
1. Whole Foods NAC NAC (N-acetyl-L-cysteine) is a supplement which the body converts into glutathione, an important antioxidant (1). It also helps build protein in your body and is proven to lower cholesterol and increase immunity against certain illnesses, such as the flu and bronchitis. As an added bonus, NAC is also known to help relieve hangovers!
2. BioSil Biosil activates the cells in your body that produce structural proteins (collagen, elastin, keratin) of your skin, nail and hair tissue. This beauty supplement increases hair thickness, reduce wrinkles, and strengthen nails. Since taking it, I've noticed a difference--wrinkle reduction is always a plus!
3. Sundown Naturals Vitamin D Vitamin D is required for the regulation of the mineral calcium and phosphorus found in the body (2). It supports bone density and helps overall muscular health including the health of your teeth. It also improves resistance against certain diseases. We get vitamin D through sunlight but because of consistent use of sunscreen and not spending enough time outside, most of us are still deficient.
4. Melaleuca Vitality Coldwater Omega-3 Omega-3 supports brain, eye, and heart health. I like the Melaleuca Coldwater brand because their supplements come from fish oil concentrate, one of the best and purest forms of Omega-3. It 's carefully selected from coldwater fish, and is molecularly distilled, purified, and guaranteed not to contain any contaminants or allergens.
5. Nature Made B12 Low on energy? Start taking some B12! This important vitamin plays a vital role in the normal functioning of the brain and nervous system and in the formation of red blood cells (3). B12 improves your energy by supporting cellular energy production. It also helps your body turn the food you eat into energy, rather than storing it as fat! YAY!
6. Country Life Calcium Magnesium I was thrilled to find calcium and magnesium in one pill since both are important supplements and I want to keep the amount of pills I take to a minimum. These vegan supplements (minerals) are formulated to maximize calcium absorption to strengthen and protect your body throughout the day. Taking calcium keeps your bones strong and reduces the risk of osteoporosis. Magnesium helps keep blood pressure normal, bones strong and the heart rhythm steady. Adults who eat less magnesium are more likely to have elevated inflammation markers which can cause a variety of health conditions (4).
7. Epigenetic Labs Tumeric 3D Foods made with Tumeric have become extremely popular in LA--tumeric rice bowls, lattes, teas and powders can be found everywhere! I like this particular super supplement because it has the perfect blend of ingredients to fight inflammation, enhance your mood, and promote heart health! And, if you're at risk of depression or joint pain, this formula contains the powerful Ashwagandha herb which is known to relieve pain both inside and out!
8. Akasha Center Immune Support Whenever I feel like I am starting to get sick, I make sure to double up on my Akasha Center immune support supplement. I discovered this particular one when NOTHING would cure my chronic sinus infections so I started building my immune system with these incredible supplements by taking them daily. The immune support supplements are made with a blend of Ayurveda and Asian herbs, designed to support your immune system and fight off colds and flu's. Many celebs including Julia Roberts also swear by them!
9. Culturelle Probiotic Taking a daily probiotic supports your immune system and keeps your digestive system running smoothly by restoring the natural balance of good bacteria in your intestines. A healthy gut is imperative to your overall health and helps you live a more comfortable life. Not all probiotics are created equal. I like the one by Culturelle best because it contains a unique strain of probiotic that is naturally sourced and scientifically proven to work.
10. Femmenesence This natural product is clinically proven to balance and regulate hormone production in women of all ages. Instead of introducing foreign hormones into the body, Femmenessence supports the body's own production of hormones through the Hypothalamus Pituitary Adrenal Ovarian Axis, which controls the regulation of the hormone production. By supporting these master glands, it corrects the body's hormone imbalance by addressing the cause of the problem, not just the symptoms. There are three different formulas depending on your age and stage in life: Femmenesence MacaHarmony naturally supports normal hormone balance, menstrual and reproductive health from teens through reproductive years. Femmenesence MacaLife balances hormones in peri-menopausal women. This supplement helps reduce hot flashes and night sweats, while boosting mood, energy levels, and sexual health! Femmenessence MacaPause is a post-menopausal formula that helps support libido and dryness, heart and bone health, mood and mental health, energy, sleep and more.
Adding these supplements to my diet has substantially improved my health and inner and outer glow! There are so many other supplements that are worth investigating in addition to the ones I am suggesting here. If you would like to see where you are deficient, try making an appointment with a respected integrative doctor in your area so you can get blood work done and see what you need most to optimize the functionality of your internal system.
If you live in LA or NY, I recommend the following integrative practices:
Maggie Ney, ND Akasha Center for Integrative Medicine 520 Arizona Avenue Santa Monica, CA 90401 310-451-8880
Dr. Frank Lipman Eleven Eleven Wellness Center 32 West 22nd Street New York, NY 10010 212-255-1800
What are some of your favorite game-changing supplements? Please share!