Utah Man Troy Morley Charged With Attempting To Kidnap 5-Year-Old Girl

Aaron Edson and his wife Stephanie describe the experience of seeing a man trying to kidnap their five year-old daughter Lain
Aaron Edson and his wife Stephanie describe the experience of seeing a man trying to kidnap their five year-old daughter Lainey from their Sandy, Utah, home last week, during an interview in New York, Monday, Nov. 10, 2014. In what Edson believes was an act of "divine intervention," he convinced the intruder to hand his stepdaughter back. Police caught up with Troy Morley, 48, of Roy, Utah, two blocks away after Morley broke into another house in the neighborhood. Morley was arrested and booked on charges of child kidnapping, burglary, trespassing and resisting arrest. The 5-year-old girl wasn't hurt in the frightening experience. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

BRADY McCOMBS, Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Utah man accused of grabbing a 5-year-old girl from her bed and trying to kidnap her was charged Wednesday with a felony that could land him in jail for many years.

Troy Morley, 48, of Roy, was charged with one count of felony child kidnapping, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison on that charge. He was also charged with burglary, criminal trespassing and interfering with an officer.

Morley is accused of trying to kidnap the young daughter of Stephanie and Aaron Edson from their home in the Salt Lake City suburb of Sandy on Nov. 7.

Aaron Edson persuaded Morley to give the girl back during a confrontation on the front lawn. The girl was not hurt.

Morley is in jail on $2 million bail. He does not yet have an attorney.

Morley was caught by police a few blocks away from the Edsons' house after he went into another house and was found by the homeowner crouched in a corner in her downstairs. He said, "I'm in trouble. I'm bad," charging documents show.

During an interview with police, Morley acknowledged taking the girl from the Edsons' home, charging documents shows. His motive is not disclosed in the documents.

In an interview this week in New York, where they were doing media appearances, Aaron Edson said he believes "divine providence" helped him stay calm when he began talking with Morley.

Aaron Edson said that when he ran outside Friday morning and saw the man, his gut instinct told him to remain as calm as possible. He said he normally would have yelled and been agitated. The Edsons said their daughter also remained calm throughout the encounter.



Missing Children