70 Faces of Torah

By Rabbi Emma Kippley-Ogman Every week, we invite our ancient prophets to address us through the haftarah (the prophetic
by Rabbi Minna Bromberg The John Jermain Memorial Library in Sag Harbor, NY was a refuge for me and for my mother before
  In a time when many of us long to be able to “do something,” to repair even a small part of an increasingly broken world
By Rabbi Dr. Michael Shire It was only a few months ago that we saw graphic and horrific images of refugee children dying
Shabbat can function as a break from the unbearably real. We spend our week not only consumed by our personal struggles, large
I run from confrontation.  The very thought of disagreeing with someone makes me breathless.  Yet, as a rabbi, I have to
By Rabbi Becky Silverstein I once owned a refrigerator magnet that read, “It’s not about the destination, it’s about the
Like many of us, I found out about the Orlando massacre on Shavuot. It was a terrifying and terrible moment. Once again, our
There should be a name for the particular sense of pride, the utter self-righteousness, that arises when we modern readers
God's self-revelation and the giving of the Torah at Sinai was followed by the sin of the Golden Calf, and then the command to build the Tabernacle and thus establish a dwelling place for God amidst the physical world.
It makes sense that the utopian promise is not heaven, but earth. Our ancestors, pre-factory-farm, understood the miraculous elegance of a functional ecosystem.