Can eating specific foods get that mojo going? I'm a skeptic about this theory, but curiosity got the best of me so I decided to investigate. Because hey, I'll admit, there are times we could all use some inspiration to get in the mood and get it on. And yes sometimes eating specific foods do stimulate bodily desires, so bring it on baby!
Dr. Nalini Chilkov L.Ac., O.M.D., states,
"Love foods that stimulate desire are prized in cultures worldwide. These foods have circulatory, relaxant and muscle strengthening effects, or visual, tactile or sensory impact that stimulates the psyche. The brain, after all is the largest sexual organ in the body."
So to get you in the mood and get the mojo going, here is a list of top foods that can boost your sex drive naturally. Move over Viagra, we've got some delicious power foods.
1. Oysters - Oysters have long been suspected as a love drug. Cleopatra and Casanova had one thing in common, they loved oysters. Legend has it that Casanova ate dozens of oysters per day. The Venetian romancer once seduced a vestal virgin by seductively sliding an oyster from his mouth to hers. If that doesn't get you in the mood, I don't know what will! In fact, current research proves our suspicion. Oysters improve dopamine levels which boosts libido in men and women. Oysters are also high in zinc which is vital for testosterone production and healthy sperm.
2. Watermelon - Some experts have called watermelon the new Viagra. Bhimu Patil, researcher and director of the Fruit and Vegetable Improvement Center at Texas A&M University, stated eating watermelon delivers Viagra-like effects on blood vessels throughout the body and may increase libido! This cool refreshing fruit contains citruline amino acid. Citruline is good for the cardiovascular system and helps relax the blood vessels that increase sex drive. If you want to get in the mood, make this Watermelon Sorbet and share it with your partner. I'm all about the easy delicious recipes!
3. Cocoa or Chocolate - All chocolate comes from cacao, or cocoa, as it is more commonly known. The Aztecs referred to cocoa as nourishment of the Gods. Modern day foodies know raw cocoa in its pure unadulterated form is a superfood. It has more antioxidants than green tea or red wine. It also contains a chemical known as phenylethylamine, said to stimulate a sense of excitement and well-being. The Journal of Sexual Medicine published a study that found women who enjoyed a piece of chocolate every day, had a more active sex life than those who didn't. I get my daily dose of raw cocoa with my Raw Cocoa Coconut Fudge Recipe. I eat it every day, and it's literally a five minute recipe.
4. Asparagus - Known for its suggestive shape, asparagus is high in a B vitamin known as folate that aids in increasing the production of histamine. Histamine is important for a healthy sex drive in men and women. The most delicious asparagus is just picked, it is so sweet! Grow your own or buy it fresh and organic at your local farmers market.
5. Avocados - A recent report stated organic Sicilian avocados are taking Europe by storm. Apparently the Europeans can't get enough of them. The ancient Aztec's nickname for avocado was "ahuacatl," or testicle because of the fruit's shapely form. The Catholic Spanish priests found avocados so sexy, the forbade them to their parishioners.
6. Maca - Is known by many as Peru's natural Viagra. Apparently this natural root has been known throughout Peru's history as a sex enhancing root passed down by the Inca. According to Discovery Health's medicine hunter Chris Kilam, the maca plant is used by the Peruvian culture to increase strength, stamina, energy, fertility and libido. Wow this sounds like a winning combination! Maybe I'll start adding it to my morning smoothies.
7. Pumpkin Seeds - Like oysters, pumpkin seeds are high in zinc which is essential for preventing testosterone deficiency in men. They are also loaded with libido vitamins and minerals like vitamin B, E, C, D, K and minerals including calcium, potassium, niacin and phosphorous. Next time Halloween comes around, now you know what to do with those left over pumpkin seeds, roast those babies.
8. Celery - You wouldn't normally think of celery as a libido inducing food, but according to Judy Gaman, Dr. Walter Gaman and Dr. Mark Anderson, authors of the book "Stay Young: Ten Proven Steps to Ultimate Health," eating celery actually increases the pheromone levels in a man's sweat, making them more attractive to women. But make sure that celery is organic! Non-Organic Celery is Packed with 67 Pesticides . You don't want those toxic chemicals messing with your libido now do you?
My conclusion, if you want to seriously boost your libido, stock your pantry with these items and eat them on a regular basis. Who knows you might even lose weight in the process by eating these healthy foods, and the extra exercise you're getting in the bedroom, couldn't be all bad.
If all else fails, think outside the box and consider getting a room! A change of scenery and environment can do wonders. And remember, the brain is the most powerful sexual organ we have, so use your imagination wisely. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Image credit: pedrosimoes7