Yes, Americans are obsessed! We drink as much coffee as we can get.
For many of us, our mornings aren't complete without a cup or two to get us fueled. Some people, after waking up, reach for a cup before doing anything else. Simply, Americans are obsessed with coffee. And, of course, there's always the afternoon pick-me-up.
But why are we obsessed: is it the flavor, the caffeine kick? Let us know why you love coffee in the comments below.
Here are some interesting facts that show just how much Americans are obsessed:
• 31% of coffee drinkers make coffee the most important part of a morning, brewing a cup first before any other morning behavior.
• 65% of coffee consumption takes place during breakfast hours.
• 58% of coffee drinkers brew their coffee the same way every morning.
• 72% of coffee drinkers take their coffee with dairy or non-dairy creamer, which means 28% drink their coffee black.
• 30% of coffee drinkers sweeten their coffee with sugar or some other form of sweetener.
• 55% of coffee drinkers would rather gain 10 pounds than give up coffee for life.
• 52% of coffee drinkers would rather go without a shower in the morning than give up coffee.
• 49% of coffee drinkers would rather give up their cell phone for a month than go without coffee.
• Americans consume 400 million cups of coffee per day, equivalent to 146 billion cups of coffee per year, making the United States the leading consumer of coffee in the world.
• Coffee represents 75% of all the caffeine consumed in the United States.
• The average coffee cup size is 9 ounces.
• The average price for a cup of brewed coffee is $1.38.
• Seattle has 10 times more coffee stores per 100,000 residents than the United States has overall.
• The United States imports more than $4 billion dollars' worth of coffee each year.
Learn how to brew the perfect cup of coffee from Alton Brown.