As a female, what is the best way to stand out in a male-dominated profession? originally appeared on Quora - the knowledge sharing network where compelling questions are answered by people with unique insights.
- Be intentional. What do you want them to think, feel, act or say? Being deliberate about the experience that you want people to have when you interact with them is critical to standing out in any situation.
- Tell stories. We, as humans, love to hear a story and stories are easy to remember. Thinking about how you can get your point across through a story is a powerful way to influence others in a non-threatening way.
- Ask the right question. I took a coaching class a few years ago, and I learned that most people don't listen intently. We tend to listen just enough to formulate a response and we tune out. If you can learn to listen to others to not just understand them, but to put yourself in their shoes, and then you ask questions that demonstrate that you are trying to further understand their viewpoint - you will stand out because it is a skill that not a lot of people have mastered.
This question originally appeared on Quora. - the knowledge sharing network where compelling questions are answered by people with unique insights. You can follow Quora on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+.
- Diversity: What are some non-obvious ways that workplace culture can be toxic for diversity?
- Parenting: What are some tips for working parents on juggling career and kids?
- Office and Workplace Culture: How do you change the culture of a conservative company to one that is more accepting of new people and ideas?
REAL LIFE. REAL NEWS. REAL VOICES.
Help us tell more of the stories that matter from voices that too often remain unheard.