I can't remember how this got started. But I can tell you exactly how it will end. Everyday is exactly the same. This is from the Nine Inch Nail song, Everyday is Exactly the Same. It strikes a familiar tone with my daily life. I already know how my day will end because it's all the same. What a way to think about life! How did it become like this? Now I'm not going to say my life is terrible because it's not. But with regards to my career, this is where I'm at. The main question is, Why?
They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If I'm bound by this logic then I should be bouncing off padded walls. So what should someone do if you are doing the same thing over and over again? Complain about it! One of my great loves in life is complaining. Complaining leads to excuses. We have our excuses ready to spew when we haven't kept our side of the bargain. Why do we become like this? Do we just give up and think it can't happened?
I wanted to know what wasn't working in my career. I'm not happy with my results. I keep doing the same thing, but why aren't my results different? If you can't hear the smack of my palm meeting my forehead you need to get your hearing checked. If every day is exactly the same, what am I going to do about it? Oh it's time to look in my bag of excuses, one moment. I have a whole bag of excuses with your name on it. Don't point your finger at someone. Point it at yourself. Here are seven reasons why we get the same results:
1. Gaining Knowledge - If you want to succeed in anything, you have to be constantly learning. Do I read books or articles to enhance my knowledge. Hell, no. So, I stay the same. If you want to "dream big", first put the work in and smarten up. No one else, but you, can control this. Unless you're in the Matrix. Then, Tank can upload all the knowledge you need in your brain. Sweet.
2. Motivation -- But my boss isn't motivating me at work! Why is it their job? Why aren't you doing it yourself? You can choose to be motivated or not. Don't be the "whoa is me" person. Here comes the Nike cliche - Just do it.
3. No Focus -- I bounce from one task to the next. I never finish anything and worse I don't remember where I left off with each task. You can multi-task yourself out of a job. Complete one task and move on. Don't try to over complicate things.
4. Social media -- Let me check my Facebook status. Let me see some great nature pictures on Instagram. Let me send out a tweet. I know people are waiting with phone in hand for my great tweets! Ohh something happened in the news today, let me read about that. What?!? Half the day is over. But I have work to do and I just got started! Their is never enough time in the day. I don't think I have to explain this any further.
5. Complaining -- I complain about everything. We all know complaining solves everything in life. Right? No! It solves nothing. I know because I complain and yet, real head scratcher, nothing gets done. Complaining leads to excuses. They build off each other. Reverse Nike Cliche - Just don't do it!
6. No Resolutions/No Goals -- I have nothing to work towards. I just work. The work I do might actually be something I need, but that's just a coincidence. I put my head down and just do things. I look up and see if I am anywhere good. If I am, I take a break. If I'm not, I realize their is a lot of work ahead. You know that means? I need to take A break!
7. Day Dreaming -- I think about all of the great things I am going to do with my life. Then I hear someone calling from afar. Then I hear yelling. Why are you staring at the wall? I need this report done ASAP! I wipe the drool off my face and continue the grind. I think about all the great things I want, but take no action. Having dreams are great, but they push nothing forward in your life without actually doing something about it.
The good thing is, I know the areas I have to improve. Yeah! So what do we do if everything is exactly the same. Do Something Different! Crazy concept I know, but I have noticed when ever I do something different I feel excited about what might happen. It makes me feel that I am on the precipice of change in my life. I always have some crazy preconception about what might happen. That it will be a terrible experience. But I'm always wrong. To change means you have to do something different in your life. It can be scary, but also it might lead to something great. You won't know unless you try.