Gary Giordano, Suspect In Robyn Gardner's Disappearance, Reportedly Took Out Insurance On Missing Tourist (VIDEO)

The man detained in Aruba on suspicion of his involvement in the disappearance of Robyn Gardner reportedly took out an insurance on the missing American tourist before their trip.

Gary Giordano bought a travel insurance policy with a $1.5 million accidental death clause on Gardner, ABC News reports.

The 50-year-old Maryland man listed himself as the beneficiary according to the network, though the Associated Press could not confirm who is listed as the beneficiary and whether it would cover the missing woman's accidental death.

"If you travel, you take out insurance. That's not an uncommon thing, to say the least," Aruban Solicitor General Taco Stein told the news agency. "It all depends on what's in the policy."


Robyn Gardner, Maryland Woman, Missing in Aruba

Giordano is the lone suspect in the disappearance of his 35-year-old travel companion, whom he claims never returned to shore after snorkeling off the island's southern tip on the evening of Aug. 2.

Police in Aruba detained Giordano Aug. 5 as he prepared to fly back to the United States.

Earlier this week, a judge gave authorities permission to hold Giordano -- who reportedly has a history of turbulent relationships with women -- for an additional 16 days as investigators gather more evidence.

Giordano's lawyer has insisted his client had nothing to do with "any malicious act" involving the woman, who he is believed to have met on an online dating website.

Authorities now believe Gardner is dead.

Investigators, including experts from the FBI, are studying surveillance footage that purportedly shows Giordano behaving strangely on the day when Gardner was reported missing, repeatedly moving his car, appearing in footage wearing different toupees and popping up on camera at 6:02 p.m., shortly after he says Gardner went missing, according to ABC News.

The network also notes that investigators found blood on a rock near the dive shop at the Rum Reef Bar & Grill, where the pair were last spotted by witnesses.

In an MSNBC video, Stein could neither confirm nor deny reports that a bloody handprint had been recovered.