On Sunday, the couple took part in a blockbuster interview with Oprah Winfrey and disclosed many things about their time in the U.K. as working royals. Two of the biggest revelations included Meghan describing how an undisclosed person within the royal family expressed “concerns” about how dark the skin of Archie, her and Harry’s firstborn child, would be when he was born and how she contemplated suicide.
“I just didn’t see a solution,” Meghan told Winfrey. “Look, I was really ashamed to have to say it at the time and ashamed to have to admit it to Harry especially, because I know how much loss he’s suffered, but I knew that if I didn’t say that I would do it ... and I just didn’t ― I just didn’t want to be alive anymore. And that was a very clear and real and frightening constant thought.”
Meghan later said that both she and Harry had repeatedly asked the institution for help, for both her mental health and their security, and were denied.
In response to these declarations, many on social media expressed their gratitude that the couple spoke out and shared their thoughts on the interview:
Some celebrities ― like Jada Pinkett Smith, Meghan McCain and Leslie Jordan ― took a more humorous route of support:
More bombshells from Oprah, Harry and Meghan’s interview:
- Meghan says there were racist concerns over Archie’s skin color ― before he was born.
- The Duchess of Sussex said she contemplated suicide and was denied help.
- The royal family reportedly wouldn’t “tell the truth” to protect the Sussexes.
- Harry says he felt “trapped within the system” of the royal family.
- Meghan says Kate Middleton made her cry, despite reports saying the opposite.
- Harry and Meghan dropped a wedding bombshell at the very beginning of the interview.
- Harry heartbreakingly compared his wife’s plight to that of his late mother, Princess Diana.
- Meghan and Harry told Oprah the sex of their second child!