Many of the people who tested positive for COVID-19 did so after leaving the camp and returning home, health officials said.
Missouri is among several states nationwide that are seeing record numbers of new infections following the easing of lockdown restrictions.
Parents of campers who were sent home after the camp was closed received emails from the organization last week recommending that their children self-quarantine for two additional weeks, NBC News reported.
The outbreak does not appear to have spread to the organization’s five other camps, health officials said.
Kanakuk Ministries describes the K-2 camp on its website as “a world-class oasis for teenagers” to “play, train, laugh, learn and grow.” The organization did not immediately return HuffPost’s request for comment, nor does it appear to have addressed the closure on any of its social media channels.
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
How to vote
Vote-by-mail ballot request deadline: Varies by state
For the Nov 3 election: States are making it easier for citizens to vote absentee by mail this year due to the coronavirus. Each state has its own rules for mail-in absentee voting. Visit your state election office website to find out if you can vote by mail.Get more information
In-person early voting dates: Varies by state
Sometimes circumstances make it hard or impossible for you to vote on Election Day. But your state may let you vote during a designated early voting period. You don't need an excuse to vote early. Visit your state election office website to find out whether they offer early voting.My Election Office
General Election: Nov 3, 2020
Polling hours on Election Day: Varies by state/localityMy Polling Place