“The Late Show” host on Wednesday took aim at the president for putting a positive spin on the fact that the United States, with 4% of the world’s population, leads the world in coronavirus cases. (It also leads in deaths.)
“When we have a lot of cases, I don’t look at that as a bad thing,” Trump said during a White House meeting with his Cabinet. “I look at that as in a certain respect as being a good thing because it means our testing is much better ... I view it as a badge of honor. Really, it’s a badge of honor.”
Colbert had a different medal in mind:
“I believe that badge is called the Purple Heartless.”
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.